Although Americans are living longer today than ever, that quantity of years can be higher in quality. People who live in the so-called Blue Zones– which researchers have identified as having the highest concentrations of centenarians in the world and include Ikaria, Greece; Okinawa, Japan; Ogliastra Region, Sardinia; Loma Linda, California; and Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica – have several “secrets” to their longevity. They move their bodies a lot, they have strong social circles, and they are committed to their families and communities.
The Blue Zone centenarians’ diets often look like this:
• They stop eating when their stomach is 80 percent full to avoid weight gain.
• They eat the smallest meal of the day in the late afternoon or evening.
• They eat mostly plants, especially beans, and eat meat rarely (only a handful of times per month), in small portions.
• They drink alcohol moderately and regularly–approximately 1-2 glasses per day.
The saying goes, “You are what you eat.” So are you ready to make some simple changes to your diet in order to increase your odds of making it to 100? Here are few of the common foods (which are available at American mainstream grocery stores) that were popular among the centenarians in the Blue Zones:
• Legumes (especially chick peas, lentils, and fava beans)
• Goat and sheep milk and cheese
• A variety of fruits and vegetables
• Whole grains like brown rice and oatmeal
• Small amounts of fish or other lean meats
• Herbs and spices like turmeric, fennel, and garlic
• Green tea, soy milk, and red wine
With delicious foods like these, the “Blue Zone diet” is one that just about anyone can follow! Improved nutrition and eating habits can reduce the incidence of preventable, obesity related conditions like heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Deerfield’s Health & Wellness Center is an integral part of life in our community. Making fitness a way of life is an attainable goal with our spacious aerobics room, weight room, a café/deli with healthful, delicious food choices, and the Riverwalk Spa. Our state-of-the-art, 20,000 square-foot glass-enclosed Aquatic Center provides beneficial year-round therapy and relaxation.
Here at Deerfield you’ll find your place to thrive, and incorporating some of the Blue Zone residents’ secrets to longevity can contribute to your overall health and well being in body, mind and spirit.
This article was written by Brad Breeding of http://www.mylifesite.net and is legally licensed for use.