Deerfield will host a presentation by Julie Goodwin, Outreach Coordinator, Better Business Bureau on March 27th at 4:00 pm in the Blue Ridge Room.
Scams are designed to either steal your money now, or steal your identity now in order to steal your money later. Scammers have all kinds of techniques to collect personal information. Once they have it, they can effectively become you, using your identity to open accounts, file taxes, or obtain medical coverage.
Tips to Spot This Scam:
• Look for unexplained withdrawals, charges, and accounts.
• Check your credit reports regularly for unauthorized inquiries and accounts.
10 Steps to Avoid Scams
1. Never send money to someone you have never met face-to-face.
2. Don’t click on links or open attachments in unsolicited email.
3. Don’t believe everything you see.
4. Don’t buy online unless the transaction is secure.
5. Be extremely cautious when dealing with anyone you’ve met online.
6. Never share personally identifiable information.
7. Don’t be pressured to act immediately.
8. Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments for goods, services, taxes, and debts.
9. Whenever possible, work with local businesses that have proper credentials and check them out at bbb.org to see what other consumers have experienced.
10. Be cautious about what you share on social media.